Sunday, January 22, 2012

A little of this, a little of that

Forks and Spoon
I signed up to participate in the Sketchbook Project again this year, along with about twelve of my middle school students. We met once or twice a week for a couple of hours doing homework, eating snacks and making art. I think I only worked on my book a couple of times during the meetings, focusing more on helping students with their books or cleaning/ organizing/ planning. I am in the process of scanning each book and making a cd of images for each student, since we need to return the books by the end of next week.
 
I think next year I'd like to have an art journaling club and have "library hours" a few times during the school year, so the kids can keep their books and share them with friends and family.



cover of my book
It felt great to be able to make some little works of art. This year my theme was "This is a Sketchbook." I got most of the work done after the grad school semester was over, but it was great to have the kids asking me what I was doing in my book and keeping me accountable. Here are a few of the pages:




I spent a few days this week updating bulletin boards with new visuals for our new lessons. I have a few more things to add to this board, but so far so good. I am attempting to make it look like a Facebook page dedicated to the profile of an artist one of the grades is currently studying. Grade Eight started optical illusions last week, so this page is about Bridget Riley.

2 comments:

  1. These are great- thanks for sharing! I am also passing on the Liebster Blog Award to you to show appreciation for your blog. Thanks! http://colorandcollage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketchbook(s)!

    I didn't do the sketchbook thing this year. I loved doing it last year, and even went to the Brooklyn Art Library to see the show. And that's when I realized that the book I spent SO much time on is barely ever seen. I mean, there are just SO many books. Over the space of the year and the touring exhibit, my book was viewed a total of 4 times, and one of those times was my own visit to it in Brooklyn. I believe art is meant to be seen, and a sketchbook/journal that never gets opened is so sad. I wish that I'd kept it myself.

    ReplyDelete