Tuesday, August 23, 2011

the remix edition


Beware of the supply closet!
Today I tasked myself with organizing the supply closet. After making friends with the custodians on my way in (so nice and helpful! score 1- new art teacher) I learned that just recently did they go through the 20+ years of accumulation in there. To be fair, it was pretty organized, and I am sure I could have gone the year without doing it, but as the new kid, I want to make sure I really know what I have to work with. Plus, organizing the materials to the way I feel I am going to work, will make it that much easier. (I have totally hid all of the 3D materials behind the door!)
Before I attacked!
After Day1
I have started to make piles of like items to be placed together on a shelf. I am debating if I should make a library with all of those books. My concern is that they are either instructional or have naked people and would need to be set aside anyhow. 
 Check out all that yarn! And it is totally covered in a thick coating of dust. Its tragic. I hope I have enough courage to try weaving on some cardboard looms.
My thought is to organize left to right, 2D to 3D. I have plenty of cupboard storage in the classroom as well, with one so far dedicated to paper, and two others for kids' work. That leaves me two to organize and possibly rearrange. I know the kids are in middle school, and therefore more capable, but I am thinking that caddies with markers, crayons, everyday essentials, etc.to be stored in one of those cupboards, (more accessible) will save some time during our short 50 minute periods.

You'll notice a bunch of empty spaces in those pictures and thats because its all been  placed here:
Spread out over the front four tables, ready to be sorted tomorrow.
I have to say, I am pretty excited to paint with my middle school friends. In those plastic bags on the bottom left of the bottom picture, are never before (seemingly) used liquid watercolor!
Also sorting today I found all of this:
Tons of wack- a- doo assorted wire! I will have to make a wire based sculpture or perhaps turn a gesture drawing into a wire statue.
Finally, I found some of these:
I think they have to do with hook and rug, or perhaps jewelry making, as I found others in a box of those things, but I really don't know what it is. Do you?

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I have some of these tools too. They're for using with yarn, but not "hooking". It's actually a punch needle. You can probably find instructions online and usually you use something like burlap for the background base. Good luck with the projects and with your school year as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your closet, room and supplies all look awesome! I also like organizing at the beginning of the year - the only time of my life I ever enjoy such a thing! Hope the school year is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah K! Thanks for joining my blog. You have done an amazing job with your supplies. I dread opening the door to my closet this year because I remember the state it was in when I left it.
    I actually had a job as a hooker for a few years...rug hooker that is...and that little tool is what you hook with. Thread the yarn through the loop and down through the point. Give a little tug backwards and it will go into the tube.
    Hook on burlap or monks cloth. You work from the back of the rug by pushing the needle into the weave of the cloth and it leaves a little loop of yarn on the other side. After a few hours you have yourself a nice little rug you can throw down by the door and admire.
    Hope you'll stop by my blog every once in a while...I have an especially awesome surprise coming up...see if you can guess what it is:)
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. A year ago I blogged about the new art teacher in my district, hired 2 weeks before the start of school and the extreme mess we found in the room. I'm including the links here so you can be thankful it's just a little dust on the yarn! http://plbrown.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-heart-goes-out-to-new-art-teacher.html
    http://plbrown.blogspot.com/2010/08/shes-still-smilingor-disaster-area-part.html

    Seriously, it looks like you are doing a great job organizing and making friends with the custodian is a super start.

    I agree with Barb - that looks like a rug hooker.

    ReplyDelete