Friday, September 2, 2011

if you like *free* stuff...

Another reason why I feel like I am in an alternate universe (see previous post)
The recycling center I have been going to every couple of months for supplies for my classroom HAS TO CLOSE!!!
Extras for Creative Learning has been amazing over the last few years, especially as an art teacher without a known budget. I have picked up everything from furniture to paper and pencils. And now, very suddenly, the city of Boston has shut it down!

Not only is this center a great resource for teachers and artists, but it is awesome for the environment. Much of the supplies donated to the center would otherwise occupy a landfill. Instead, it is there for us creative folk to think of another purposes for it.

Please, check out the website, and if you are as upset by this as I am, please feel free to write Mayor Menino. I did! I don't live in Boston, but this has been such an incredible resource for myself, as well as other art teachers, teachers, and artists in my area. In fact, just today, at the center, I met a puppeteer who was looking for supplies before her beloved recycling center closed too...



I know for now that supplies will be stored somewhere, but I hope that in the very near future that ExCL finds a new home.

THank you for your support!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like we might be in similar teaching situations. I have been doing some creative trash picking lately for supplies. Lesson planning is so much harder when you don't have a lot to work with but at the same time it really forces us to think CREATIVELY.

    ReplyDelete