Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Its the Final Countdown...

10 Days until the Art Show!
Well, 9 since today is over. Really 8 if you take into consideration that I won't be in school Friday.
There was a death in the family. (No worries, my great aunt lived a full life into her nineties. She has been taken care of by the Little Sisters for the last few years and is now resting peacefully with her husband, daughter and my dad. I'm looking forward to celebrating her wonderful life and memory with my family!)

Today after school I juggled between helping students with clay character bowls, cleaning up after a whirlwind of the day, and guiding my dedicated eighth graders in getting mats started for the works selected for the Show.
We will have black felted panels from the local art association, but my principal likes the look of the black rail board, and as its been done traditionally, I am taking the extra step. (He also likes the works glued, so I have been fighting the humidity and my better judgement.) This way too though, I can use any and all available wall space and still have things look professional.
After a little over an hour and a half, we have two classes done and eleven more to go!

The above image is from a PhotoShop class I took in college. I have/had limited skills with technology. The following semester though the idea of layering images flowed into my Photo Process Printmaking class and I again used these images to create metal printing plates and layered the registers. That I had a ton of fun with and even gave away and framed many works from that class. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I've been at school this week for 11, 12, and 10 hours a day - 1st putting up the show; then the night of the show; and today trying to get it all back to my room and sorting and so on. I'm pretty wiped and my room is still piled mile high. But it is so worth it!

    Interesting comment about the principal's opinion. My principal and superintendent (who I am both VERY angry at right now) NEVER stepped foot into the show, not while we were hanging it, not while a couple hundred parents and kids were crowded in the room, not while I sat exhausted on the dirty gym floor today after everyone else had gone home, picking staples and stacking dragonflies. Not a congratulatory email, not a word, not anything. Insulting, demeaning, and hurtful, but unfortunately not unexpected. Thank goodness for supportive parents, coworkers, and happy students! Be grateful of an administration that cares enough to have an opinion! Good luck, and know that when it is all done, you'll be able to sit back and pat yourself on the back. Now I have to go write my post about MY show!

    ReplyDelete