Monday, June 30, 2014

Studio Day One

The second day of class is tomorrow and I pray that I can stay on this roll I've found myself on.
Over the weekend, myself and a couple of other classmates, came into the field station as we were itching to get started. I started.... but I didn't have my canvases. (long story) I borrowed from someone else and felt constrained by not being able to work on multiple surfaces at once. Since last summer, I've always had more than one painting going at a time. Needless to say, I hit some sort of wall, but awoke with clarity Sunday morning, knowing exactly what I wanted to do come Monday.


I think it looks way better from father away, but I am trying new things, including palette knives, and abstraction. I am aiming to capture the "revelatory qualities" as my professor has said. I think it will be my mantra for the summer.


Here is the inspiration, a bit zoomed out and without the tress. I feel like if I add them, I might take away from the image. At the same time, there are spots I'd like to tone down and others I may punch up.


Apparently someone from each summer class paints this set of three trees. How could you not? There is something about the color juxtaposed with that magnificent blue sky that begs for attention. I couldn't ignore it this year.

I am not where I want to be with this piece just yet. I was using oil paint sticks for the first time and learning how to manipulate the material. I would also like to work on the contrast and linear qualities more.

Overall though to whip out these two beginnings, with another board with a ground painted, is a pretty fantastic first day. I hope to make some progress before our 1pm break so the group can head in town to catch some USA World Cup Action!

No comments:

Post a Comment