Monday, October 14, 2013

Exploring Visual Design Part 2

From Amazon
Exploring Visual Design is actually a textbook from Davis Publications. If you follow the link, it will bring you to the Davis Art website and the most recent edition of the text. When I was an undergraduate, one of my professors recommended another book, Art: A Global Pursuit, to study from for our teacher's exam. I passed, with a 92 (!) and highly recommend their publications. I now own the teacher's edition of Art: A Global Pursuit and the above teacher's edition of Exploring Visual Design. The information is straight forward, written in a student friendly language. There are numerous activities to support learning, studio experiences, images, art history, and opportunities for written reflection in chapter "check(s) for understanding." On a personal note, the company is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, so I take some state pride, but also, my middle school art teacher was a contributor to Art: A Global Pursuit. (I had no idea until I read it!)

The only trouble is...
I have one copy of each book.
So what do you do?
Thanks to technology, and the blessing of prep time, I have been able to scan pages and create Power Point Presentations. To change it up, I've photo copied short lessons with self directed learning activities listed at the end of the packet. Both are not ideal, but it is the best I can do for now.
In the meantime, I am waiting to hear if a mini-grant proposal I wrote was accepted. If so, I plan to purchase an Epson DC-06 document camera, with recording capability. That way, I can project the text on the whiteboard as needed, but also have the ability to record my voice and whatever I am doing for the camera. I will be able to create my own demonstration videos!
From Amazon
Isn't it so cute? Bonus, it can fold up into that plastic well, comes with a carrying case, and is portable. Which is perfect, because I teach in two classrooms!

I have yet again digressed from the content of Exploring Visual Design... check back for Part 3 soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment